"> Studying In Canada And Obtaining Open Work Permit For Your Partner – Entplanet.net

If you are an international student studying full time in Canada with a valid study permit, your spouse or common-law partner can apply for open work permit, while he or she is living with you. The study and open work permit allow spouses or common-law partners to enjoy the many job opportunities Canada has to offer.

Spouses or partners with work experience and the right qualifications can apply to work in Canada (if they so wish) for the duration of their partner’s studies. To be eligible for this open work permit, both partners must reside in Canada. The partner who wishes to study must obtain a valid study permit as well as acceptance as a full-time student at a Canadian higher institution.

The spouse or partner must have a valid work permit in a skilled or semi-skilled occupation for six (6) months. A job offer is not a requirement for applicants. Studying or working in Canada allows applicants the opportunity to gain Canadian work experience while living in the country.

When To Apply For Open Work Permit For Your Partner

Your spouse or partner can apply for an open work permit before or after they land in Canada. Generally, the work permit will be granted for the same length of time as your study permit. Your spouse or partner may not require a job offer to apply for a work permit.

There are cases where Canadian immigration offices abroad will process a partner’s work permit applications along with study permit applications. In this case, you may be required to include the additional fee for the open work permit and complete the necessary application for your partner, which is available on the consulate’s website.

Most spouses and partners come to Canada as visitors first and then apply for an open work permit after they are in Canada. So, If your partner does not need a temporary resident visa, they may be able to apply for an open work permit at the port of entry.

Open Work Permit Conditions

However, an open work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may be subject to restrictions. International students who were not hitherto required to go through an immigration medical examination before coming to Canada may be subjected to it if they work in:

  • A health care setting;
  • Child care; or
  • Primary and secondary educational facilities

Want to study in Canada? Here at MigrationHints, we have some higher institutions where you can find the best degree courses as well as their admission requirements.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Salut, j’aimerai vraiment aller travaillé que ça soit dans la conduite des engins légers comme lourd.
    Amélioré ma connaissance pour y être un vrais pro d’électricité.car,en guinée je fait aussi les installations des bâtiments en électricité et c’est un métier que j’ai derrière mon oncle durant huit (8)mois.
    Amélioré ma connaissance de nouveau pour être un pro en maçonnérie dont suis diplôme au centre de formation professionnel CFP de Boké et que j’ai environ plus de cinq attestations que j’ai reçu dans les mains des différentes sociétées pour ma performance.
    Je dois aussi chercher a amélioré ma connaissance pour informatique minière car suis un diplômé universitaire a l’Institut Supérieur des Mines et Géologie de Boké blanche TECHNICIEN SUPÉRIEUR.
    TEL : (+224)622818137

  • Hello sir/madam
    Through research on the internet I came across work and study program offered by the Canadian peal advisors, help me with all requirements about how to apply as an international student.